Wednesday, September 3, 2014

March 15--June 7 2014

Well, you know I decided after having to move out of my accommodation, that it would be best to look for other work.  I knew I could not stay at the school anymore as they were inconsistent with their promises. 

Actually, let me back up here.  After I went to the Ministry of Labor in February 2014, the school asked me if I would come back to teach next year or not.  I did not want to decide that four months before the end of the school year, but since they forced my hand, not letting me back into my classroom until I did, I ticked the box "No, I will not plan on returning."  I also gave them a letter of resignation explaining the reasons why I am within my legal rights to be able to give a two-month's written notice to inform them of my resignation, and that based upon my contract, there should not be any monetary penalties based on my resignation.

They said, okay.  Because of this, I decided to look for other work.  I was able to get a great offer in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.  They paid well-enough.  They had an expat compound, apartments, everything that Dubai would have but only inside this compound.  At first, I thought this would be fine.  I could buy a little golf cart drive around for groceries, etc.  I even had a friend I made there, who had connections with the school.  His name was Waleed. 

However, as the time went by, and the school who put me out of my accommodation started seeing that I was an asset and they regretted how they treated me, were begging me to come back; to reconsider withdrawing my resignation.  In April, I told them I would think about it. 

So, I thought about it and pondered, and prayed.  I went to visit my friend, Haytham in Al Ain, to ask him his opinion, but instead I met two lovely girls who were also teachers in Al Ain and they told me they were experiencing similar issues at their school.  So, I thought, "If it is there in Al Ain, here in Dubai, it may be in Jeddah as well." 

The very next school day, I gave a letter of resignation withdrawal and told them I would await notice that it was accepted.  Months went by, no sign of acceptance.  So I thought I won't go to Jeddah, maybe I will try to get a job in Abu Dhabi instead.  Abu Dhabi is a lovely city.  It is my favorite place in the UAE.  I had a phone interview for a very well-known school called the Glenelg School.  Not really thinking that I would get an offer, they did indeed offer me a position in May 2014. 

So, I accepted and gave another letter to the school.  In this letter, I said that my resignation is firm.  That since they never gave me written approval that my withdrawal of resignation was approved, then I was still resigned as of February 2014.  So, on June 8, 2014, I received a confirmation from my school in Dubai that they accepted my resignation and wished me good will in my career.

Well, life was relaxed, I was going to have a great job in Abu Dhabi.  I was working hard at my own school to make sure that the students were going to have a good year for next year, despite my absence.  and I was so excited to finish this year and start a new and exciting adventure in Abu Dhabi.

No comments:

Post a Comment